I have 10+ years experience in product management, having helped to grow several successful consumer- and climate-tech companies. I've worked at B2B, B2C, and marketplace companies, across mobile, web, SMS and even print technologies. I prioritize user needs according to rigorous data analysis and experimentation, and bring together diverse teams behind a shared vision to ship delightful products. My goal is to help build products that make the world a better place.s
Group Product Manager – Upside10/2018 – 7/2023
I was the first PM hire at Upside, and over 5 years owned a range of outcomes, from growth to merchant onboarding to mobile user retention.
Product Lead, Mobile Apps See Project Overview
I led product for our iOS and Android mobile apps, which ranked in the top 10 free travel apps on both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store, working with a team of 50+ engineers and several PMs to develop consumer app functionality to support our 3.5MM MAUs in finding and transacting personalized cash back offers at local merchants. As the first PM hire at Upside, I helped develop a rigorous process for product discovery, prioritization, and quality implementation, utilizing user research, A/B testing, and product analytics to rapidly evolve the product in order to increase IRR while minimizing CAC.
- Launched new ML recommendation/ranking algorithm that significantly increased engagement, retention
- Launched new mapping product that drove increased engagement, retention, and multi-vertical cross-sell
- Launched gift card cashout redemption, increasing user retention & delivering a new revenue stream
- Launched new product initiatives critical to the evolution of the business, including receiptless redemption modality that decreased cost by 20% and increased user transaction rates
- Led cross-functional coordination across UX, UR, Engineering, QA, Marketing, and Support teams to ensure alignment and effective execution
Product Lead, Growth
I was responsible for product-led growth, developing an experimentation-focused strategy, utilizing data segmentation/analysis to determine tactics and coordinating efforts across development and marketing.
- Led consumer growth (acquisition and retention) initiatives to grow from 200k to 3.5MM monthly active users over 5 years while lowering CAC, including through a robust referral program
- Launched new experimentation platform (Optimizely) and process to enable rapid product experimentation and iteration
- Led sustainability initiatives, including a program that offset 2.1MM metric tons of CO2
Sr. Product Manager – Opower (acquired by Oracle) 2014 – 2018
Digital Self Service See Project Overview
I was co-PM during the pre-launch planning and development of Opower Digital Self Service, a responsive web application that enables utility customers to solve their utility needs, including viewing and understanding their electric usage, paying their bill, and enrolling in utility programs. I was responsible for researching and defining the product strategy for an MVP in coordination with the engineering, marketing, sales and UX teams.
- Refined product strategy according to needfinding workshops with 10+ major utilities and user testing sessions with hundreds of users, working with marketing and UX
- Supported sales teams by participating as product expert in sales calls and on-site workshops with clients, translating client needs back into product strategy
- Coordinated organizational melding of Oracle and Opower teams, including implementation of shared agile development approach
Opower Peak Management See Project Overview
I was PM for Opower Peak Management, a multimillion dollar/year solution line with more than a million users that allows electric utilities to manage peak grid strain by motivating customers to reduce their consumption through targeted and personalized email, SMS, and IVR communications.
- Coordinated across engineering, marketing, and sales to grow product through revised go-to-market strategy and corresponding technical investments, enabling 2x throughput, 3x clients, and 50% greater ARR
- Researched and coordinated new functionality based on user needs and market demands, working with UX to test/refine and engineering to implement using a modified agile (scrum) methodology
- Ensured high availability of business-critical functionality through coordination with operations, product engineering, and platform engineering teams using a pre-mortem risk assessment model
Outbound Communications Platform
As an internal PM new to Opower, I supported other product teams by ensuring a highly available, high throughput, cost effective platform for outbound communications, supporting 20MM emails, 35MM print reports, 2.5MM phone calls, and 250k SMS per year.
- Oversaw transition to lower cost, higher throughput email vendor, including defining requirements with engineering and conducting RFP process with vendor operations team
- Conducted regular requirements gathering sessions with product teams to ensure platform investments were appropriately prioritized
- Ensured technical implementation of legal compliance for outbound communications, including CAN-SPAM compliance for email and TCPA compliance for IVR/SMS
Co-Founder, Product Lead – The City Swig 2011 – 2013
I co-founded The City Swig, an 11-person nightlife deals company with a website and iOS app reaching 30,000 unique users in Charlottesville, Richmond, and Blacksburg, Virginia. I oversaw product strategy and development, including researching user stories, defining product requirements, and prioritizing the work of six developers. I was also responsible for front-end design and development utilizing A/B testing and user conversion tracking.
Web Developer – Center for Economic & Policy Studies 2011 – 2014
I managed the website for the Center for Economic & Policy Studies at the University of Virginia, including ensuring standards-compliant accessibility for the Center's data sources and developing visualizations using D3.js.
B.S., Systems & Information Engineering – University of Virginia 2010 – 2014
Concentration: Human Factors Engineering
Minor: Computer Science